Sausage, Veggies, and Rice
A delicious take on a typical red beans and rice dish. The sausage and vegetables go perfectly served on a bed of rice.
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 orange/red/green pepper chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 sausage links
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the kidney beans.
- While the vegetable mixture is cooking, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sausage links. Rotate the sausages until almost cooked (about 10 minutes). Remove the sausages from the skillet and place on a cutting board. Cut the sausages diagonally into pieces then return to skillet to complete cooking. Add to the vegetable mixture.
- Meanwhile, place the rice, water and butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked and fluffy.
- Add the rice to a serving bowl and place the sausage and veggie mixture on top.
Please follow and like us: